Monday, February 25, 2013

Will You Still Love Me, Tomorrow? (Or, Getting Paid)



When a client does not pay me I wonder how can they respect me if I don’t insist on payment?* Letting a client go indefinitely without payment is the ultimate beta move, and sets up a toxic dynamic from which there is no where to go but down. Either the client gets right on their payments, or we part ways.  Any other arrangement is not worth the hassle. 

To get paid, you have to send the client a bill.  The worst mistake is not sending bills to your client on a regular and frequent basis.  If you send a client a bill six months into their case, they will not have a sharp memory of everything that has happened and often believe that the bill is inflated. Another mistake that attorneys make is not putting sufficient details in their invoices.  Conversely, some attorneys go overboard, and the billing entry takes longer to read than the actual work took to perform.  A client should not have to wade through sixteen generated phrases per billable to figure out what it is you did for them that day.

The worst kind of client is the slow payer.  The thing that clients who slow pay do not understand is that unless there is a court order or a statute which requires me to move on their case in an expeditious manner, slow payers get moved to the bottom of the stack both on my desk and in my mind.  The clients who pay me promptly go to the front of the line because they are treating me and my services as a priority. 

The simplistic “fix” offered to the slow payer problem is “just make everyone put money in trust.”  This works to a great extent.  I do a lot of work on a flat fee basis, and I require payment in full before I will put pen to paper or dictate a single word.  Otherwise, I require fee retainers. Even so, there are times when a retainer is not called for and there are some clients who refuse to deposit retainers.  Most of the time, this works out fine and the client pays their bill promptly.  In this situation, the lawyer has to depend on their intuition and other indicators to determine if the client is a good risk.  Most importantly, a case without a fee retainer is a situation that has to be monitored closely. 

Whenever I encounter a client who resists a retainer I keep a very close eye on their billables and their payments.  It is an absolute beginner’s mistake to allow billables to get too far ahead of a client’s payments. Once this happens, you are trapped too far out on the limb to cut it off without falling to the ground with it.  This is especially so in litigation where in one month an invoice is de minimis and the next an invoice is several thousand dollars.  When billables outstrip payments by 90 days or more, your chances of receiving full payment are practically none.

In my experience slow payers are the most demanding clients. Ironic, isn’t it? One of the hardest things to learn as an adult is when to quit someone, whether it is in a personal or professional setting.  I’ve learned the hard way to quit slow payers sooner rather than later. 

Frankly, I’d rather heat a can of beans on the engine block of my truck than involuntarily work for free.  At least I’ll still respect myself in the morning.




*NB:  This post addresses only paying clients, not pro bono cases where the lawyer is voluntarily working for free.

Copyright 2013 Julie Ann Sombathy All Rights Reserved